Saturday, June 21, 2008

Kids at Trasnah... SUCK.

i can't help but sometimes not bother about the kids in my class.

They are all rude, spoilt, and horrible brats. They've got no skill, no respect, and know nothing about art.  They can't take instructions and cannot stay still.  I don't recall myself being like that at their age.  I was so afraid of doing wrong, and making mistakes.  The kids of today are bolder now.  

Every so often i find the younger ones more able to handle- they just quietly sit there and do their work.  The disparity of rowdiness between kids from the different primary schools can clearly be seen.  The horrible ones love to be spoonfed and keep calling "Chee-Cher Chee-Cher i want green colour where is the green colour" when it is just right in front of them.  They just take everything for granted, as spoilt as they are, and just want you to do everything for them.  Help them pick up , clear up after their mess, help them finish painting, colouring... THEN WHAT IS THE POINT OF COMING TO ART CLASS !

It really saddens me and makes me wanna tell them to stop coming so  that i can focus my attention on those who are keen and interested in learning.  Because they make so much noise, don't raise hands , demand so much from you, mess up the place, make me clean up... the poor little ones who really are interested always have to sit and blend into the background while waiting for me to settle the rest's problems before i attend to their keen needs.

The kids who come, mostly, are here just so they won't be left out.  They don't want to see their friends who are interested come for art lessons, and they, left out and staying put in another classroom while they paint.  So, these kids, they beg their parents to let them come, and their filthy rich parents of course agree, because they have the money to feed their kids, sometimes in excessive amounts.  And thus, they attend, and take everything for granted.  Whilst those who really want to attend, stay out, and stick by the window and look into the room that i teach in.  Sometimes i invite them in to participate in lessons that are hard to come by, like the gyotaku printing session 4 weeks ago.

But then again, Trasnah is a profit making company.  And i can't chase their CUSTOMERS away just like that.  

Every now and then i question myself if i am a good teacher, and if i am doing my job at all, if it is me who is the problem, if i can teach at all... because the progress of my students is slow, or near zero.  Why am i not inspiring? 

No comments: