Friday, December 21, 2007

First Defeat. -I know how She felt

I met with the first defeat since i started drypoint about a month back.  
I've scratched about 6 acrylic plates so far and never have i met with such a problem.  Well, this shows i am still an amateur and have got a tonne more to learn in this medium of art making.
  
As interesting as it gets, today i was faced with a problem i realised last week.  The current plate i've been working on requires accuracy and a good hand with neatness.  Its one with a repeated image.  One scratch outta place and the plate's gone.  And oh yes, did i mention, the plate is a goner. 

I didn't only have an error, i've had many many errors.  And i blame it on the needle tool and the slippery nature of the acrylic's surface.  The needle tool provides me with an awful grip- it tires me out after a while, occasionally(or rather, frequently), the needle tool slides across the surface just as i'm carving and goes outta line and its irreversible! and carving in the cold does not help at all!!!
carving the plate.

Then came the inking.  Inking was okay.  i hated the part when u have to remove the ink from the plate.  I spent a miserable half an hour trying to remove the stubborn spots that were so detailed, ink collected in a puddle and for these areas, the more i tried to take the excess away, the more i took ink off the parts that were just right.  
I gave up on this.  It was actually meant as an xmas gift for an uncle.  But looks like i have to be more consistent in my next attempt of the same image.  
Looks like my arms have grown stronger- from my daily push up routine, as well as from operating the press. Here's some pictures...


Erm, you get what i mean? 

Time was up, HE called.  i had to go.  off to church(i hate religion.) but i didnt wanna go.  I needed to make xmas gifts!  and i managed to do a quick sketch of Hippie and then transferred it onto the plate.  Wasnt too happy because the features weren't accurate.  But what the heck, at least there's resemblance and Wanyi said it looked like him.  so, YAY! 

No comments: